To financially empower and support entrepreneurs of the BVI so that they can contribute to the region’s social, cultural, environmental and economic development.
Unite BVI are looking for social entrepreneurs to contribute to the rebuild of a stronger, smarter, greener, and better BVI. We believe that entrepreneurship is the key to solving some of the world’s biggest problems.
KickStart BVI financially empowers entrepreneurs to build sustainable, innovative businesses that have the potential to becoming globally competitive and contribute to the region’s social, cultural, environmental and economic development.
About the Programme
In simple-terms, the KickStart BVI programme is a business loan.
It differs from financial institutions’ traditional business loans, as we recognise the unique circumstances an entrepreneur faces in obtaining financing. We expect the entrepreneur to have no other access to financing, and therefore do not require any down-payment, or collateral to be used as security. Also, we do not require any formal credit history checks. In essence, we’ll take the risk where banks won’t.
The loans are interest-free, and come with customisable repayment terms.
In response to the needs of struggling BVI small businesses post Hurricanes, and to ensure as many small businesses as possible are able to benefit from our programme, we are giving out micro-loans in the first half of 2018. These micro-loans are between US$2,000 and US$10,000. They remain interest-free, require no down-payment or collateral, and have customisable repayment plans.
- KickStart struggling small, local, viable operating businesses
- Stimulate and diversify the BVI economy through job maintenance (& creation), and revenue generation
- Inspire and encourage entrepreneurs to use business as a force for good, through contributing to the stronger, smarter, greener, and better rebuild of the BVI
We believe it’s never been simpler to apply for a loan. There are two stages to our application process:
- Initial Assessment: via online or paper form: Entrepreneurs are screened to ensure that they meet our initial assessment eligibility criteria (see below)
- Final Application: submit Business Plan & Financial Questionnaire: Entrepreneurs are screened to ensure that they best meet our final application criteria (see below)
To assist entrepreneurs in the final application stage, we provide template business plans and financial questionnaires, so entrepreneurs don’t need to start from scratch. We also partner entrepreneurs with trusted business advisors to guide them through the final stage, and offer one-to-one support & coaching.
Should entrepreneurs successfully receive a KickStart BVI micro-loan, we will partner them with a business mentor or strategic/finance coach on day one, to ensure they are supported every step of their journey.
Just a few things you need to know before applying – our criteria:
- Be over 18 years
- Hold a valid BVI trade licence
- Have no other access to financing
- Operated a business for over a year (applications will be favoured with a proven track-record (prior to the storms))
Applications will be favoured who best prove the following:
- Contributing to the rebuild of the BVI
- Business viability (in the current BVI market)
- Maintain & create jobs
- Force for good (benefit the community and/ or the environment)
Sir Richard Branson encourages applicants to ‘listen’ to the needs surrounding their communities when developing their business proposals. Proposals that address challenges facing our community and environment with practical, sustainable solutions are the business proposals that will be given preferences in the final selection process.
Applications are currently closed but in the meantime why not check out our KickStart Entrepreneurs.
Entrepreneurship is a great leveller, the wonderful thing is that money is not the sole currency when it comes to starting a business; drive, determination, passion and hard work are all free and more valuable than a pot of cash.
- Richard Branson, Founder, Virgin.